Wednesday 19 October 2011

Novelty and Art III

Strange to read in an apostille in a paper that the commentator wishes pop music to be "new", while moaning the fact that the charts are dominated by digitally remastered reissues of older albums/ bands. Also he criticised the fact (?) that people have turned from consumers into users. Then he links the consuming attitude to owning and sometimes destroying, but also on the positive side to getting inspired by, and the using one to getting bored easily. Maybe it is just me being not so much up-to-date with expressions, but I always believed consuming had a rather passive connotation and would also fit in with a mere user's attitude and why is it bad to listen to music that dates back to the 1960s or 1970s?!
Oddly there are points that I could so much agree with like that music, even pop music should be inspiring, yet I wonder why this should be limited to "new", maybe better contemporary, music, and why I do have the feeling that notions get twisted here?!
Still I do rather share, like way back in the 1990s when in a seminar on New British Art the subject of contemporaneousness was raised and I was to have the final word later on with a presentation of Derek Jarman's Garden(something that I felt was also transcendenting the contemporary, even by the most fragile means), Thierry De Cordier's view "Je n'ai absolument rien à voir avec le XXème siècle" or Barnett Newman's notion that he corresponds with artists from the past and that he was sure that they would somehow understand what he was doing.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment