Wednesday 5 October 2011

Novelty and Art II

I wonder when the artistic vision was substituted by mere ideas, in a sort of Platonic fashion. I wonder but if Raimund would consider handing me back "Die Wahrheit in der  Malerei/ Truth in Painting" by Jacques Derrida after more than a decade, I could again study this book a bit closer ( more on Derrida is yet to come), for I do remember that there Derrida discusses the term parergon, which as far as I remember he interprets as the framework. Maybe just, maybe to focus this aspect is the great novelty of 20th century art, eg Marcel Duchamp or "The White Cube" in the 1990s.
Yet I have seen a very interesting exhibition in the late 1990s, where the artist has endeavored to examine the phenomenon vice versa. There were photographs on display which documented a quite different exhibition. The artist - I'm sorry I cannot remember the name - had taken facsimiles of paintings that were on display at the local museum, the Capodimonte, in Naples and had put them in an every-day context, eg there was laundry hanging somewhere and inbetween one would get glimpses of a painting or there was a painting attached to a staircase somewhere in the city of Naples and people were passing by, yet always noticing the paintings. To me the outcome was that great art does not need a framework, a parergon, it just shines out even in the quite ordinary daily life.And this would be something to achieve ;). BTW about movies I do feel the same, the best directed, greatest styled movie would become dull for me if content and acting are bad, yet give me a marvellous performance and even a bad script and grainy cinematography I would not even notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment