Sunday 30 October 2011

Are you working hard or hardly working?!*

What I like about this song is its apparent silliness that is yet purposeful and revealing as an outsider's look on Europe. Looking back my own view on Europe as a teenager and when I was in my twenties appears to differ (yet just maybe it does not actually) because at that time Europe appeared very young to me. Mine is the generation that had the advantage of travelling, again speaking a lingua franca, English, that enabled us to communicate in Europe and being able to cherish the vision of a European union. The youthfulness of Europe was nevertheless bought by the loss of a generation in WW2, thus in the 1960s and 1970s Europe was indeed very young. I feel grateful for growing up in the 1970s.

* (Chilly) Gonzales in ARTE's "One Shot Not"


No comments:

Post a Comment