Friday 7 October 2011

Italo's Propositions

One of my alltime favourite writers, Italo Calvino, was asked in the 1980s to deliver six lectures on issues he believed important for the next millenium at Harvard University. Spitefully he could not accomplish the whole cycle because he died in 1984, yet one issue he got to talk about was Leggerezza - Lightness, something that has impressed me probably to a degree I only begin to realise now, though back in 1997 I fought to have my "Examensausstellung" (an exhibition a student of fine arts at a German Academy has to devise at the end of his/her studies) named exactly this and lost because my professor did not fancy it.
When drawing the line has to be executed most light(-heartedly), lest the sketch becomes compulsive and dull.

No comments:

Post a Comment