Tuesday 17 May 2016

Whatever Happened to Imagination?!

"...Be what it is,
The Action of my life is like it, which I'll keep if but for sympathy."

is taken from Shakespeare's play Cymbeline, probably my favourite one because it is so unexpected, unforeseeable, redemptive, full of wonder. This line refers to a book Posthumus, one of the main characters, has been given while in prison. This book somehow contains his fate and it basically tells him that soon his miseries will end. "then shall Posthumus end his miseries".
Once I told an American friend about the play and that I loved it, and to please me he got an audio version from his local library. The outcome was he did not get it, the two interwoven stories  puzzled him and he especially mentioned Posthumus' book. For him all suspense was gone because in his mind it foretold the happy ending. To which I replied that to "end one's miseries" does not necessarily mean to live happily ever after, but it could also mean something very darker, especially at a moment when Posthumus has already set his mind and actions into this contrary direction, to indeed end his miseries forever and for good. He's repenting a mistake he basically lacks the power to undo. And he will still get much more miserable in the further course of events.

I love this sinnerman though. And especially because he is not hiding but forced to expose his evil deeds very publicly, his initial and greatest wrong being a wager ;).



Much more than a dawn of justice, it's the dawn of mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment