Wednesday 11 May 2016

Lessons in Humour II

My former English teacher's reply to the invitation to the opening of my Examensausstellung - an exhibition one has to do as part of the exam at an academy of fine arts.


I've never dared to address him in any other language than English and always found it kind of odd when he was talking in his native German, but then he went as a teacher to Uganda twice, in the early and in the late 1980s. This had also the side-effect that sometimes some of his former students from Uganda would visit him and subsequently also our school. The greatest compliment he has ever made me, though another English teacher actually told me that he had told him, was that I was one of the few students who could understand a joke in English. On the other hand it might just be that a lot of  German people do not get the English kind of humour ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment