Friday 13 May 2016

The Passenger

Voyage, voyage!

Years ago at Raimund's seminar "Um den Punkt geredet" ("Talk around the point" actually meaning "to beat about the bush") as we were asked to present a work of art, I did and recited "To be or not to be". Because everybody was silent I began to argue that this to me is a perfect work of art. It has many layers and each time I revisit it I see a new aspect, somehow it appears to grow with me. And this was not nearly all, it has a perfect rhythm, a wonderful sound.
So Raimund felt challenged and began to talk about phenomenology and Edmund Husserl. According to Raimund this is the origin of Husserl's philosophy of phenomenology: When he was travelling by train his companion said to him: "Look at these black and white cows in the meadow." And Husserl replied: "From this side they are."
The whole excursion ended with Raimund addressing me: "If I understand you correctly then you believe that if I got into my car I can never be sure of reaching my destination." And we both smiled at each other and it was deep and thorough.


No comments:

Post a Comment