Friday 19 August 2011

We are the stuff that dreams are made on


Well, alright I've discovered my heart for some actor, and Tim, if you are reading this, I'm sure you will know whom. So I've watched The Good Night last night and was rather disappointed how a good idea or issue could be messed up by treating it in a very unimaginative way. The movie goes on and on without much evolution and then in the final ten minutes it develops some good ideas, but does not work them out, and the ending left me unsatisfied like it followed the fashionable concept of having a final catch. Here is my review from imdb, I gave it 7 out of 10, which is about the worst vote I've ever given :).

My vote is somehow better than I would give if it were not for the acting.

The story, I'm afraid is sort of a letdown and in the days of virtual reality seems far too dated. Somebody getting absorbed by his dreams feels so obsolete in these days when there are so much more real and effective ways to dilute your mind.

The final catch does not really come as a surprise, it's something like "the perfect kiss is the kiss of death", Gary finally ends his quest - or was it Mel's - and ends up in the perfect dream.

I've not yet made up my mind if this movie is a satire, mocking its characters, or if it is a more serious drama. In the best case it would be both, in the worst none actually and just talky I'm afraid. My personal view on dreams, which gets also touched in the course of the story, is that they do encourage you to make them real.

Btw my personal view on dreams is rather like Peter Gabriel's in his song about Anne Sexton, Mercy Street: "All of the buildings and all of the cars were once just a dream in somebody's head!

No comments:

Post a Comment