Tuesday 30 August 2011

Nightwatching Part V

Visualising it


Oh, colour I adore. I can see from the movie that Peter Greenaway simply knows what he wants and how he wants the picture to look like. The hardest thing is yet to hunt for the perfect resemblance between vision and product.- Once when I was designing a poster for my school's English Drama Group and I knew the colour had to be violet and I stated so to other people, yet for lack of the colour I did it in blue. Now comes the funny part, one of us went to have the poster colour-copied, when I got a call saying that the copy cannot be done in exactly the hue but it had to be tinted, either red or yellow (it's been decades I wonder if I remember the other colour correctly). Absolutely excited I said, "For god's sake, red!" When the posters arrived, they were exactly like I had envisioned them and even the other people finally saw it - With this movie I also feel that the vision - like eg the blue and yellow of the flag (it takes my breath away) - has been translated.
Having Rembrandt in the drapery commenting on the fabric, its colour and texture - I can relate to this so very much, if I myself do this, it's pure synaesthesia, to touch it, to smell it, the colour . It's like being high on this, these are my drugs.- This is something that has happened to me before when watching a Greenaway movie, eg in The Cook, the Thief.... when the wife and the lover have sex between the rotting flesh, I definitely could smell this strange sweet odour of rotting and my husband on the other hand thought that the lover looked quite tasty in the end :)

No comments:

Post a Comment