Monday 30 September 2013

You Simply Gotta Know

There was this day Jasper Johns stopped to be a painter for me:

At a retrospective in Cologne Johns presented a series of prints. It was the same outline printed in different colour combinations. Like in a lab he would do them and at the end he presented the one and only solution/print that was right and got framed. My thoughts on walking past this scientific line-up was that as a painter he should have known the right colours and combination from the start.




While I was painting the poster for my school's English drama group's performance of Peter Shaffer's 'The Royal Hunt of the Sun' (I was Felipillo btw), I realised that the colour was not correct - even in the process I told a friend. When the same person went to Aachen to have my original painting colour copied, I got a phone call from her saying that she could copy it but the copy would not be true to the original and she had to select a tint. There were two options and on hearing that one of them was reddish, I immediately told her that I wanted it to have been more red in the first place. On her return presenting the result she commented that the copies were better than the original. My reply was that I had already told her beforehand ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment