Sunday 15 September 2013

Just To Please You III



Kirsten: If there is anybody who knows how to write a good song, it's you. How for heaven's sake do you accomplish writing a timeless song?

Bert: It's impossible to say, and especially a timeless song, I should not know. But eventually I simply enjoy writing songs and when it comes down to it, to me it's just a matter of loving to play the guitar. I eventually do care for a good tune. I'm busy doing it, of course I'm busy doing it as much as possible, but you'll never know if it's gonna be successful. You should not think about it as long as you are busy. It's rather helpful, if you purposely do not consider this at all, because then thoughts like 'We're not good' won't cross your mind either. If you are busy anyway, just keep doing it an enjoy it. I think that's the bst attitude.

Kirsten: What comes first in your case the lyrics or the tune?

Bert: With me it's always the lyrics, because certain words are very important for the rhythm of the lyrics. A good tune is also very important. You're playing the guitar or sitting at your piano. Everything goes, but to me the lyrics are important. It is the way I give structure to my songs, qua phrasing, rhythm. It's just like in HipHop, it's also very important in pop music. How you place your words, where you place them. It's all about impact. If you want to tell something, then you want to have as much impact as possible. And in this case it is about the rhythm of the lyrics.

Kirsten: Absynthe Minded's lyrics are in English. Is it easy for you to write in English?

Bert: I've never had doubts about it. In the past I did it though I was not actually able to. From an early age I've been listening to English music. That's after all the language of Rock'n'Roll. Telling a lot with just a few words. Maybe in my case it was helpful that I began reading English books at an early age. I believe that it is a very beautiful language. I love English culture. It's something I enjoy just like writing songs.

Kirsten: You enjoy a lot of things.

Bert: Because I like doing it, that's it.

Kirsten: What I've noticed (concerning Studio Brussel's contest for new bands 'de nieuwe lichting') that sometimes there are sometimes applications that feel alright to me, but when the lyrics, the English is so terrible, that I cannot listen to it. What#s your advice concerning this?

Bert: In that case my advice would be: If you want to be taken seriously in another language, you have to learn to command it. Mind you, I had troubles myself, you can listen to some Absynthe Minded albums, and if you look closely, if you listen carefully, there are some difficulties, like the English 'th', I've sinned against this. I Do not believe that you have to do a British or an American accent. I rather see it as a universal language. I realise that I have an accent, but at least I'm getting the grammar right. Remove all uncertainties. If you want to tell people something, you cannot leave them asking themselves 'Why has he said this?'

Kirsten: If you are uncertain, let somebody who commands the English language have a look at it. Then you are certain.

Bert: Indeed. And let him listen to it as well, it's also a matter of pronunciation.

Kirsten: Certainly it's not necessary to apply for you anymore, but imagine you would apply for our contest. Which song would you chose?

Bert: I believe 'Mercury'. I could have chosen something else, but I believe it's a song that, if you listen to it, would make you want to attend a live performance. That's what I would do. Should I have to apply, I would choose something that makes people say 'They are playing well. I would love to see them perform'. That's when you have to prove your ability. Maybe the recording or production of your demo was not good, but on stage everybody is the same, and that is the moment when you have to go for it. So if you convince any member of the jury that he or she wants to see you live, that's a step ahead.

Kirsten: Absolutely. They have to perform live, so that would be quite logical. Bert, merci for your help. See you soon!

Bert: Thank you very much. Salut!



No comments:

Post a Comment