Sunday 8 September 2013

Mercy

 


Gods are more full of mercy. Must I repent?
I cannot do it better than in gyves,
Desired more than constrain'd: to satisfy,
If of freedom 'tis the main part, take
No stricter render of me than my all.
I know you are more clement than vile men,
Who of their broken debtors take a third,
A sixth, a tenth, letting them thrive  again
On their abatement: that's not my desire:
For Imogen's dear life take mine; and though
'Tis not so dear, yet 'tis a life; you coin'd it:
'Tween man and man they weigh not every stamp;
Though light, take pieces for figure's sake:
You rather mine, being yours: and so, great powers,
If you will take this audit, take this life,

Cymbeline, William Shakespeare, Act V, Scene IV

I wonder what happened to the drawing, for I presented it to Michael Pennington, who said that he would frame it.

No comments:

Post a Comment