Friday 23 August 2013

Witzig - Funny

Every man who will not have softening of the heart must at last have softening of the brain - G K Chesterton






For more than a decade I've been trailing the German word "witzig", now initially it just means funny, but to me it has a certain kind of aftertaste, which leaves me actually despising it. For "witzig" to me has always the implication of making fun of other people and their supposed shortcomings, yet I'm not sure if the joke one day will turn upon those who believe themselves to be so "witzig".

In the 1990s I read a review of an exhibition of works by Gerhard Richter by a Swiss art historian. These works of art were pretty traditional landscape paintings. Now this art historian in his article begins to make fun of the spectators he encountered at that exhibition because they were having real emotions and experiences regarding the landscapes that are depicted. So secretly at the exhibition and quite frankly in his review he was laughing about these experiences because to him these images were all fake. Me, I couldn't help thinking on the contrary that whoever makes fun of such emotions is in many aspects a poor or at least poorer person than the ones he comments on. Eventually I suppose the laugh will be on him.




No comments:

Post a Comment