Sunday 18 August 2013

What's Reality Anyway II

Though the last post might have been fun, there is also a sinister side to a wide and open perception. When I was at the Biennale in Venice in 1997, there was a work of art entitled "Secret Missile" (if I remember correctly) on display. This one really haunted me, but when I talked to other people about it, they did not seem to have noticed what I have noticed, except for one and this thankfully made me certain that it hadn't been a delusion.

The work of art consisted of a collage of photos and stills from films. Among them, one that made me very particularly feel sick. It was a sequence from a film showing frame by frame what looked like and for all I know actually was the execution of partisans in WWII .The most terrible thing to me was that I was given the ability to go back and forth, resurrecting the people again and again, just to let them die again and again. All of a sudden I was hit by the terrible notion of why people would film such things, a sickening and disgusting game.

No comments:

Post a Comment