Monday 26 August 2013

That's True Entertainment - What I Love About Chesterton

Today I've read "The Moderate Murderer" by G K Chesterton, part of "Four Faultless Felons", which can be found here.
This story encompasses all I love about Chesterton. First of all and not least it is great entertainment and one may read it as just a clever mystery story. But like in all truly great entertainment, eg Shakespeare or Dickens, there are different layers to it and it is also a philosophical discourse. I won't give away too much, when I'm saying that it is about moderation. On the one hand it is quite original, on the other hand it is a very old tale.
Chesterton reveals himself again as the great thinker of common sense and among the (modern) philosophers he thereby proves to be the exception. Another one that comes to my mind is Emmanuel Levinas with his focus on every day life.

No comments:

Post a Comment