Thursday 19 January 2012

Vor dem Gesetz - Before the law

Ever since I've been treated to be made aware of "Before the law" by Franz Kafka I had this instant view of the parable being a (bitter) joke. And now Kasper König has chosen "Vor dem Gesetz" as motto for his final exhibition at the Museum Ludwig Köln, it all makes me wonder again.
For my initial interpretation, which I can hardly come across anywhere, was that the man from the country should by all means have taken the decision to enter. It has been his singular doorway all along. In a way I wonder if this should be also the attitude of the artist: Know what you've come here for and do it. Yet there are of course the guard(s) - others he has only heard of -, but I'm sure that I know them by name and they are pretty powerful indeed, like "Sense of Shame", "Sense of Decency", "Reputation"...

For once be bold and live rather the adventurous life, for indeed I've come across people, who regretfully do have a vocation in their life - something they would in private confess to and issues I  believe only them to be capable of -, but alas this stupid reputation was/is confessedly in their way.


No comments:

Post a Comment