Friday 9 September 2016

The Comfort of Strangers

...can be supportive some times. First I had to comfort him a little bit for I had bought a video from him via amazon's marketplace and amazon had been threatening him since he did not respond immediately to their emails. I told him that he would get a five star feedback if my purchase arrived in a reasonable amount of time, which could be up to two or three weeks. Then I was really glad to have somebody with whom I could communicate for a while, somebody who would tell me things about his life as a gardener in Oxford and me being able to discuss some of my wilder thoughts and ideas with him - an accidental penpalship.

The strangest request I ever got though, was when it still was possible on ebay to contact other members directly: A woman wondered if I was interested in a photograph of Anton Walbrook's grave since she had noticed that I was interested in him. I replied by sending her a photograph of the grave featuring a friend of mine and taken by Kevin Brownlow. In the end this resulted for both of us in a quite extensive collection of Walbrook's movies on DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment