Wednesday 19 June 2013

An Interview with Bert Ostyn

The seven deadly sins according to Bert Ostyn (Absynthe Minded)

A lot has happened since Absynthe Minded got in second best at Humo's Rock Rally in 2004. The band has made three gorgeous albums, but  were nevertheless dumped by Universal. But they did not give up, got for their untitled fourth and best album four MIAs (Belgian Music Industry Award), while "My Heriocs, Part One" was elected best song of the decade (2000-2010) by the listeners of StuBru (Studio Brussel, my favourite radio station, Daniela).

Read here some quotes by Bert Ostyn : "I can imagine becoming stinkingly rich with my music"

Ostyn: "A little bit of ego is necessary. After eight years of Absynthe Minded I am quite sure that I'm addicted to the stage. That I'm happier now than in the past has a lot to do with this."
" I've also very much believed in it quite contrary to my surroundings. I've just managed to pass the secondary school, got a lot of punishments at school because I couldn't keep my big mouth shut, often I ran with my head against the wall. It did not come as a shock, but if my former school now asks me to come and talk about my line of work - that has already happened - I say: No way, guys."

Ostyn: "Formerly I used to be the opposite of vain, sloppy, not interested in my clothing...It took a long time before I realised that it would do no harm if I look a little bit good on the stage. In addition I had to grow more expressive otherwise the picture would not be right. To be ambitious and to live in your own cocoon are two things that do not really match (pulls at the frissure of his vest's shoulder). Now we even got someone sponsoring our clothes: Matinique. I look at my picture in the mirror much oftener now than three years ago. What do you want: I'm at Werchter on Sunday."

Ostyn: "I'm not that competitive. To play a parlour game with me is for example not a good idea: I soon grow tired of it. Playstation for example: it makes me aggressive. I even did not actually want to take part in Rock Rally. Our manager thought that we had to:"It will give you a lot of attention." He was right. But I didn't feel that I had to win it."

Ostyn: "Women is something I cannot live without. I have three younger sisters, and I always had a lot of female friends (I'm not sure if he explicitely refers to girlfriends here, Daniela). I enjoy the attention of my female fans. If one of them wants to take a photograph with me: you're welcome. But that doesn't mean that I also want to dive into bed with them. I had a lot of short-term relationships, I always could satisfy my needs, but that doesn't mean that I was following my dick. In the meantime I've been together with my love for five years now and it has worked out pretty well."

No comments:

Post a Comment