Saturday 4 February 2012

Amateurish

Yesterday I've come across a review of Damien Hirst paintings and the reviewer described them as being amateurish. Although I must admit that I was also slightly underwhelmed by the paintings - because in my eyes they were too academic btw - I did not like this approach a lot, for this word "amateur" stems from the Latin "amator", which means paramour. What annoyed me was the reviewer's depreciative use of this word, for if you love something or doing something for the love of it, your heart and soul is involved, and I cannot picture that paintings made with heart and soul can be depreciated. If anything nowadays paintings are regretfully lacking this characteristic - as can be seen from my reaction to the same paintings-, thus what I am craving for is more "amateurish" art.

For whom it may concern Michael Pennington will play Antony in Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra, co-starring Kim Catrall, in Chichester in September. I at least do feel the urge to go there ;).

No comments:

Post a Comment