Monday 16 October 2023

Relevant


 
translation of my part:

In my room I would like to present two plaster casts of forearms on two pedestals. These forearms are connected by a red ribbon.

This installation reflects an experience from my childhood. When I was attached to a friend, who belonged to a different denomination, in this way, I was told by an adult, that exactly this denominational difference formed the basis for fights in his childhood. (In fact it was the local ( Dutch) priest who said that he and his friends would beat up Protesant boys.)

Thus the plaster casts represent different positions (or views) that depend on each other, are attached because of the ribbon...

This exprience becomes nightmarishly topical ( the text dates from 1998) again considering the conflict in Nothern Ireland. There two friends, Damien Trainor and Philio Allen, were most probably killed because they were friends despite the fact that they belonged to different denominations. 


source: Katalog "ConverArt - Die Kunst der Abrüstung" (ConverArt - The Art of Disarmament)

No comments:

Post a Comment