Wednesday 6 November 2013

Space Is Where We Belong

"It took me 20 minutes to make this on a fortunate evening: 
"I got a sickness inflicted upon me in a hazardous tempo
Space is truly infinite I feel, you can't say that of time
I got a weakness because I got addicted to slowing down
In the face of your future, you win" (Bert Ostyn)"
 
 
 
 
I've come to the conclusion that what really inspires me about great Art, is the gaps and spaces it leaves for the spectator to fill. How it may reach out to my singular life.
 
Like the conversation I once overheard on a train ride. A woman had recently been to an exhibition of sculptures by Joseph Beuys and one of them reminded her of a special dish she used to make but had forgotten all about and now she wanted to cook it again.
Or there was Barnett Newman at the Louvre visiting "Mona Lisa" and all of a sudden unexpectedly she actually smiled at him, which was not always the case.

Yet the best works of art are those that present a different view each time one revisits them. Apparently they are so many layered, so full of life that they are able to grow in different directions and one may never ever come to a final conclusion. I got this feeling especially about Shakespeare.

No comments:

Post a Comment