Wednesday 17 July 2013

Blindness
















And keep my drooping eyelids open wide,
Looking on darkness which the blind do see:
Save that my soul's imaginary sight
Presents their shadow to my sightless view,
 
Sonnet 27, William Shakespeare
 
In the catalogue to the exhibition Jacques Derrida curated at the Louvre entitled  "Memoirs of the Blind: The Self-Portrait and other Ruins"/"Memoires d'Aveugle.L'Autoportrait et autres Ruines", he took me on a journey into blindness, setting off with all the blind men in literature, whether poets themselves or all the blind(ed) men in the bible. Yet soon the passage would take a quite different turn and it surely made me discover the sort of blindness he refers to at the end myself. And to this day I still wonder how he knew?! I would highly recommend reading it and joining the voyage ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment