Wednesday 14 September 2011

Visual Illiteracy

In his documentary "Rembrandt J'Accuse" Peter Greenaway claims that most people (maybe our entire culture) is visually illiterate, ie not able to "read" an image properly, and going on he says that else we would not have such an "impoverished cinema". As a silent movie fan I must say he is right at that point,  visual expression was  very much neglected when the talkies arrived, early talkies tried to encorporate both means of articulation, ie words rather added a dimension to what you are seeing, but soon sadly the word would take over. One of the worst movies I have ever watched was "Last Man Standing", for I almost left the cinema yelling because I was told by the "inner voice" of the main character what I had just been seeing, but probably  Walter Hill, the director, did not trust the audience's abilities or he was just planning the commercial breaks already. Fact was that I couldn't watch because I was talked to all the time.
So in fact I'm now thinking about "Peter Greenaway J'Accuse"....

No comments:

Post a Comment