Sunday 18 September 2011

NIghtwatching - The Opening Scene



Watching the opening scene I could not help but draw some iconographic parallels, which might sound a little bit blasphemous but as I will prove, been a topos rather commonly to be found among artists. The thing that came instantly to my mind is due to the fact that I have a Catholic background, how Christ is robbed of his clothes, even down to the fact that the only thing left to him to cover/shelter himself is a loincloth. Artists referring to Christlike figures or assuming that role has precedences like Dürer's self-portrait or Barnett Newman's Stations of the Cross, entitled "Lema Sabachthani"(Why have you forsaken me), which are certainly meant as any man's and especially the artist's primary outcry...

2 comments:

  1. i am really excited about this and looking forward to reading your future blogs concerning Nightwatching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @lotus-eater Sorry for my late reply, I've quit for some time checking comments because if there were any at all, they were mainly spam. Thanks for your kind words and I sincerely hope you've enjoyed the other posts. Comments are always more than welcome ;)! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete