Wednesday 14 September 2011

In Memoriam Richard Hamilton

Just what is it that makes today´s homes so different, so appealing?
In commemoration Raimund has cited a sentence by Richard Hamilton : "You know, painting has the biggest history, painting has the biggest future." What a marvellous thing to say and a hope I genuinely share, for I might add, something that I've said in the 1990s: If we cannot execute paintings anymore, we will no longer be able to perceive/ understand them. Here Peter Greenaway does have a point about us being visualy illiterate, yet I believe if stimulated most people are capable of employing a little bit more perception when looking at something. It really isn't so hard, just do not take everything for granted.

And oddly it coincides with a virtual discussion about photography being art I joined only yesterday, here is my reply: About photography being art. Yes, of course photography can be art or artificial and it would be better for most of us if we were to consider the latter, ie its implemented artificiality, a little bit thoroughly when looking at photos. Most people take photography to be a direct image (I like the German Abbildung here very much) of reality and are not aware of the fact that they might be manipulated, some with great sophistication and others you can tell, but as the means are getting more sophisticated I guess the product does as well.

BTW: Pop Art is American and Punk British, right?! ;D

No comments:

Post a Comment