Monday 19 February 2018

Who's Jealous of Who?!

Take all my loves, my love, yea take them all:
What hast thou then more than thou hadst before?
No love, my love, that thou mayst true love call -
All mine was thine before you hadst this more.
Then if for my love thou my love receivest,
I cannot blame thee for my love thou usest;
But yet be blamed if thou this self deceivest
By willful taste of what thyself refusest.
I do forgive thy robb'ry, gentle thief,
Although thou steal thee all my poverty;
And yet love knows it is a greater grief
To bear love's wrong than hate's known injury.
Lascivious grace, in whom all ill well shows,
Kill me with spites, yet we must not be foes.

Sonnet 40

My thoughts about this Sonnet

Shakespeare is talking to a jealous lover, who demands all his love for him- or herself. But, says Shakespeare, even if I loved somebody else, this will not diminish my love for you at all. Actually you demand the very thing of me that you are not willing to give me, which is your unconditional love. You are even using my love for you against me. You want to possess all of me - he obviously still loves the addressee, since he calls him/her "gentle thief" -. Your jealous love is even worse than what an enemy could do to me (for I love you). Yet I love you still, even your nasty traits, but the ultimate danger of your attitude is that we might end up as enemies.

So in the end jealousy is probably not even a feature of love.


No comments:

Post a Comment