Thursday 29 September 2016

The Future

Celebrating the 500th anniversary of the release of Thomas More's Utopia, Stijn Vranken was asked to look into the future. This is what he saw last Tuesday afternoon.



First the far future:

Dystopia

This parade of always us, us, us, again, by our
desire joined bodies, nonchalantly draped
around the genes, will this untameable circus
ever hold

As if it were half a heartbeat

To move this far too many headed forward, organ
against organ, skull against skull, palate against
palate, fishing for the bad tasting root
of this joke

One shouldn't even try

Just for once not embracing ourselves,
one second of supernatural doubt, to tangibly know
that we are elusive, unforeseeably wild, and
will but do one thing: always more precisely not escape

Yet this far future is contrasted with the near one, which could be saved by the following:

Monday: Love me (5x)
Tuesday: Love to see me (5x)
Wednesday: Be fond of me (5x)
Thursday: Believe me to be smashing (5x)
Friday: Cherish me (5x)
Saturday: Just leave me alone, do something nice, go shopping, buy all my books, but (important) miss me (5x)
Sunday: Coddle me (5x)


No comments:

Post a Comment